Researchers have determined a never before seen virus found in the liver of a beluga whale to be a new strain of the coronavirus. With emerging infectious diseases on the rise, it is now estimated that 75% derive from zoonotic sources. This being the case, health officials are now looking to zoological parks and aquariums for emerging virus surveillance.
- Tips from the Journals of the American Society for MicrobiologyFri, 23 May 2008, 8:14:37 EDT
- Marine lab research tracks pollutants in dolphins and beluga whalesWed, 11 May 2011, 13:00:12 EDT
- Synthetic virus supports a bat origin for SARSTue, 25 Nov 2008, 16:23:20 EST
- New coronavirus has many potential hosts, could pass from animals to humans repeatedlyTue, 11 Dec 2012, 9:33:46 EST
- 'Bycatch' whaling a growing threat to coastal whalesTue, 23 Jun 2009, 12:15:17 EDT