The new image, showing a very rich field of stars towards the Carina arm of the Milky Way, is centred on the star HD 87643, a member of the exotic class of B[e] stars. B[e] stars are stars of spectral type B, with emission lines in their spectra, hence the 'e.' They are surrounded by a large amount of dust. It is part of a set of observations that provide astronomers with the best ever picture of a B[e] star...
- Double engine for a nebulaWed, 5 Aug 2009, 10:43:07 EDT
- The stars behind the curtainWed, 3 Feb 2010, 9:45:10 EST
- Brilliant star in a colorful neighborhoodWed, 28 Jul 2010, 10:29:24 EDT
- Astronomers witness a star being bornThu, 17 Jun 2010, 13:52:13 EDT
- The little man and the cosmic cauldronTue, 27 May 2008, 15:43:29 EDT