Using a worldwide combination of diverse telescopes, astronomers have discovered that a giant galaxy's bursts of very high energy gamma rays are coming from a region very close to the supermassive black hole at its core. The discovery provides important new information about the mysterious workings of the powerful 'engines' in the centres of innumerable galaxies throughout the Universe...
- VLBA locates superenergetic bursts near giant black holeThu, 2 Jul 2009, 14:36:48 EDT
- University of Arizona astronomers discover most primitive supermassive black holes knownThu, 18 Mar 2010, 17:55:18 EDT
- Surprise: Dwarf galaxy harbors supermassive black holeSun, 9 Jan 2011, 13:51:26 EST
- Pinpointing origin of gamma rays from a supermassive black holeThu, 2 Jul 2009, 14:36:46 EDT
- Revealing a mini-supermassive black holeWed, 24 Oct 2012, 17:07:16 EDT