Researchers have devised a technology that can distinguish mine collapses from other seismic activity. Using the large seismic disturbance associated with the Crandall Canyon mine collapse last August, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists applied a method developed to detect underground nuclear weapons tests to quickly examine the seismic recordings of the event and determine whether that source was most likely from a collapse...
- Researchers distinguish waves from mine collapses from other seismic activitiesThu, 10 Jul 2008, 15:28:37 EDT
- Fatal mine collapse covered 50 acresMon, 2 Jun 2008, 0:21:48 EDT
- URI geologist develops improved seismic model for monitoring nuclear explosions in Middle EastThu, 16 Dec 2010, 11:53:45 EST
- Scientists detect seismic signals from tornadoThu, 8 Mar 2012, 23:31:49 EST
- Scientists pioneer method to predict environmental collapseMon, 19 Nov 2012, 22:39:28 EST