There are approximately 40,000 species of spiders in the world, all of which have been thought to be strict predators that feed on insects or other animals. Now, scientists have found that a small Central American jumping spider has a uniquely different diet: the species Bagheera kiplingi feeds predominantly on plant food.
- Herbivory discovered in a spiderMon, 12 Oct 2009, 12:22:07 EDT
- First 'mainly vegetarian' spider describedMon, 12 Oct 2009, 12:22:10 EDT
- New species of spiders discovered by UBC scientist in Papua New GuineaWed, 25 Mar 2009, 9:29:05 EDT
- 33 new trapdoor spider species discovered in the American southwestThu, 20 Dec 2012, 16:37:26 EST
- New spider species discovered by University of Haifa scientistsMon, 11 Jan 2010, 11:15:23 EST