As the remotely operated vehicle (ROV) descended into the blue depths above the Alarcón Rise, the control room was abuzz with anticipation," wrote MBARI geologist Julie Martin in her April 22nd cruise log. "Today we [are] planning to dive on one of the strangest environments in the deep sea: a hydrothermal vent field. Adding to the teams excitement was the fact that this hydrothermal vent field had never been explored before. In fact, it had only just been discovered... by a robot.
- Scientists break record by finding northernmost hydrothermal vent fieldThu, 24 Jul 2008, 14:36:40 EDT
- Expedition to Mid-Cayman Rise identifies unusual variety of deep sea ventsTue, 20 Jul 2010, 17:23:05 EDT
- Scientists locate apparent hydrothermal vents off AntarcticaWed, 3 Mar 2010, 12:11:36 EST
- More deep-sea vents discoveredMon, 14 Feb 2011, 11:06:11 EST
- The fantastic armor of a wonder snailTue, 19 Jan 2010, 18:28:56 EST