There is an old trick for remembering the difference between stalactites and stalagmites in a cave: Stalactites hold tight to the ceiling while stalagmites might one day grow to reach the ceiling. Now, it seems, stalagmites might also fill a hole in our understanding of Earth's climate system and how that system is likely to respond to the rapid increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide since preindustrial times.
- Caltech researchers use stalagmites to study past climate changeThu, 3 May 2012, 16:05:56 EDT
- Cave reveals Southwest's abrupt climate swings during Ice AgeWed, 20 Jan 2010, 16:30:16 EST
- Cave study links climate change to California droughtsTue, 10 Nov 2009, 15:33:01 EST
- Stalagmites may predict next Big One along the New Madrid Seismic ZoneThu, 25 Sep 2008, 14:36:37 EDT
- Researchers find linkages between climate change and political, human impacts among ancient MayaThu, 8 Nov 2012, 15:08:11 EST