Satellite data gives forecasters a leg up on severe weather. NASA has just released an animation of visible and infrared satellite data showing the development and movement of the Great Plains tornado outbreak, using data from NOAA's GOES-13 satellite. There were more than 135 reports of tornadoes and 124 different warnings over April 14-15, 2012.
- GOES-13 satellite animation shows US severe storms and tornado outbreakMon, 18 Apr 2011, 17:33:50 EDT
- NASA and other satellites keeping busy with this week's severe weatherWed, 9 Mar 2011, 14:37:43 EST
- Danielle now a Category 2 hurricane, NASA satellites working in high gearTue, 24 Aug 2010, 10:58:01 EDT
- NASA infrared satellite data gives System 96S a fair shot at becoming a tropical cycloneThu, 10 Feb 2011, 17:34:16 EST
- NASA uses 3 satellites to see strengthening Tropical Storm NicoleWed, 29 Sep 2010, 13:39:24 EDT