Scientists report they have "compelling evidence" that the Deepwater Horizon oil spill has impacted deep-sea corals. Their study, published today in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences utilized a wide range of underwater vehicles, including the submarine Alvin, to investigate the corals and comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography to determine precisely the source of petroleum hydrocarbons found.
- New research reveals deep-ocean impact of the Deepwater Horizon explosionMon, 26 Mar 2012, 21:34:17 EDT
- First report on fate of underwater dispersants in Deepwater Horizon oil spillWed, 26 Jan 2011, 13:05:09 EST
- Deep below the Deepwater Horizon oil spill Mon, 18 Jul 2011, 16:36:48 EDT
- WHOI scientists analyze, explain the chemical makeup of Gulf plumeMon, 18 Jul 2011, 16:36:37 EDT
- Coral hotspots found in deepwater canyons off northeast US coastWed, 26 Sep 2012, 11:07:37 EDT