It was previously thought that land plants evolved from stonewort-like algae. However, new research published in BioMed Central's open access journal BMC Evolutionary Biology shows that the closest relatives to land plants are actually conjugating green algae such as Spirogyra.
- Ancestors of land plants revealedSun, 17 Apr 2011, 20:31:04 EDT
- No more sneezing, allergen-free house plantsFri, 31 Aug 2012, 9:33:25 EDT
- What happens to plant growth when you remove gravity?Fri, 7 Dec 2012, 3:04:01 EST
- Learning to live on land: How some early plants overcame an evolutionary hurdleWed, 15 Sep 2010, 9:31:38 EDT
- Adjustable valves gave ancient plants the edgeThu, 9 Jun 2011, 15:35:40 EDT