The Gliese 581 system has been making headlines recently for the most newly announced planet that may lie in the habitable zone. Hopes were somewhat dashed when we were reminded that the certainty level of its discovery was only 3 sigma (95%, whereas most astronomical discoveries are at or above the 99% confidence level before major announcements), but the Gliese 581 system may yet have more surprises.
- Lightest exoplanet yet discoveredTue, 21 Apr 2009, 9:57:21 EDT
- Potentially habitable planet discoveredWed, 29 Sep 2010, 17:30:56 EDT
- Newly discovered planet may be first truly habitable exoplanetFri, 1 Oct 2010, 10:43:53 EDT
- Newly discovered planet may be first truly habitable exoplanetWed, 29 Sep 2010, 17:30:58 EDT
- 15 new planets hint at 'traffic jam' of moons in habitable zoneMon, 7 Jan 2013, 10:33:00 EST