The smart grid idea aims to save money, reduce pollution, lower costs, and create new "green" jobs. Smart grid is a phrase that refers to a number of things at the same time. It refers to the modernization of the electrical grid itself -- the way electricity is transmitted over long distances and then brought to customers. It refers to things in the home, such as appliances that turn themselves off and on at certain hours in order to save energy. And it can refer to the effect electricity will have on other parts of the economy, such as transportation.
- 'Smart grid' would save energy, cut costs for US consumersWed, 5 Jan 2011, 13:37:49 EST
- Scientists explore putting electric cars on a two-way power streetThu, 2 Oct 2008, 12:08:09 EDT
- Toward a 'green grid' for delivering solar and wind-based electricityWed, 13 Apr 2011, 13:39:53 EDT
- Smart grids: New study highlights key challenges and trends in the EUThu, 7 Jul 2011, 11:39:11 EDT
- 'Amplified' nanotubes may power the future Thu, 14 Jul 2011, 22:35:03 EDT