Researchers have found another reason to eat well: a healthy diet helps prevent kidney stones. Loading up on fruits, vegetables, nuts, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains, while limiting salt, red and processed meats, and sweetened beverages is an effective way to ward off kidney stones, according to a study appearing in an upcoming issue of the Journal of the American Society Nephrology (JASN). Because kidney stones are linked to higher rates of hypertension, diabetes, increased body weight, and other risk factors for heart disease, the findings have considerable health implications.
- An apple a day keeps kidney stones awayThu, 13 Aug 2009, 17:43:45 EDT
- Healthy diet rocks when it comes to fighting kidney stonesThu, 16 Sep 2010, 18:51:03 EDT
- People who develop kidney stones are at increased risk for chronic kidney diseaseFri, 7 Nov 2008, 17:57:03 EST
- Kidney disease patients: Eat your veggies, reward your kidneysThu, 23 Dec 2010, 17:31:35 EST
- Weight loss is good for the kidneysThu, 17 Sep 2009, 18:26:54 EDT