A study in the September issue of The American Naturalist describes new details about a fungal parasite that coerces ants into dying in just the right spot -- one that is ideal for the fungus to grow and reproduce. The study, led David P. Hughes of Harvard University, shows just how precisely the fungus manipulates the behavior of its hapless hosts.
- Parasite causes zombie ants to die in an ideal spotTue, 11 Aug 2009, 15:53:14 EDT
- Zombie ants have fungus on the brainSun, 8 May 2011, 21:30:37 EDT
- Zombie ants have fungus on the brain, new research revealsMon, 9 May 2011, 9:33:06 EDT
- Fossil reveals 48-million-year history of zombie antsWed, 18 Aug 2010, 9:50:28 EDT
- SF State scientists expose new threat to spotted owlWed, 28 May 2008, 5:56:35 EDT