Yesterday's earthquake is not unexpected, which increases the tragedy, says geoscientists Michele Cooke. A challenge in assessing Caribben earthquake hazards is that most of the tectonic plate is below sea level and "we can only access the active faults where they are exposed on the islands."
- Purdue-led research team finds Haiti quake caused by unknown faultMon, 25 Oct 2010, 16:21:20 EDT
- New study cites lower rate of quakes along some subduction zonesFri, 4 Dec 2009, 11:22:45 EST
- WHOI expert: Haiti quake occurred in complex, active seismic regionThu, 14 Jan 2010, 12:49:47 EST
- China quake rare and unexpected, says new MIT studyMon, 30 Jun 2008, 13:21:46 EDT
- Like fireflies, earthquakes may fire in synchronyFri, 18 Jun 2010, 15:05:23 EDT