On Jan. 30, 1540, in Mexico City, at a time when Spain was carving out an empire in the New World, an epic trial got under way. An ordained Catholic priest named Pedro Ruiz Calderón was being prosecuted for practicing black magic. The priest actually bragged about the powers he had acquired, according to records a researcher is working on publishing.
- 4 is the 'magic' number Wed, 28 Nov 2012, 11:42:14 EST
- Magical thinking helps dieters cope with unrealistic expectationsWed, 15 Jun 2011, 15:37:16 EDT
- Guitar heroes: When the magic transfers from rock stars to instrumentsMon, 14 Feb 2011, 16:36:03 EST
- First proof in patients of an improved 'magic bullet' for cancer detection and radio-therapyMon, 12 Sep 2011, 17:35:27 EDT
- Black hole hunters set new distance recordWed, 27 Jan 2010, 9:39:01 EST