The largest solar flare in four years erupted Monday. Its radiation is expected to reach Earth today and Friday and perhaps interfere with communication systems, power grids and navigation satellites. It might also enhance the northern lights.Radiation from the largest solar flare in four years is expected to reach the Earth Thursday and Friday, potentially interfering with communication and navigation satellites and disrupting ground-based communication networks and power grids.
- New method detects emerging sunspots deep inside the sun, provides warning of dangerous solar flaresFri, 19 Aug 2011, 15:33:02 EDT
- Space weather disrupts communications, threatens other technologiesFri, 18 Feb 2011, 13:37:19 EST
- It's always sunny in Caltech LabTue, 21 Aug 2012, 23:32:50 EDT
- UNH scientists: Sun delivered curveball of powerful radiation at EarthWed, 1 Feb 2012, 15:37:00 EST
- The watched pot and fast CMEsFri, 15 Apr 2011, 13:07:04 EDT