The level hits phase 5, a situation in which the likelihood of a pandemic 'is very high or inevitable,' an official says. A toddler is the first confirmed death in the U.S. As the swine flu outbreak continued to spread to countries around the world, the World Health Organization on Wednesday took the unprecedented step of raising the infectious disease alert level to phase 5, setting the stage for increased efforts to combat the infection.
- Sneezing in times of a flu pandemicMon, 2 Nov 2009, 12:44:09 EST
- Milwaukee swine flu testing results publishedTue, 16 Jun 2009, 9:47:42 EDT
- Swine flu: Early findings about pandemic potential reported in new studyMon, 11 May 2009, 15:43:39 EDT
- Infectious diseases caused two-thirds of the nearly 9 million child deaths globally in 2008Tue, 11 May 2010, 20:24:22 EDT
- Humans may give swine flu to pigs in new twist to pandemicThu, 9 Jul 2009, 18:21:25 EDT