Readers share their experiences about the bewildering fees charged by hospitals. Even medical professionals can be baffled by the way costs are determined.Debbie Cassettari had outpatient foot surgery to remove a bone spur. She arrived at the surgery center at 8 a.m., left at 12:30 p.m., and the bill came to $37,000, not counting doctor fees. In recovery now from sticker shock, she's waiting for her insurance company to do the tango with the clinic and figure out who owes what to whom.
- Doctors with ownership in surgery center operate more often, U-M study findsTue, 6 Apr 2010, 10:54:11 EDT
- Gene test determines risk of heart surgery complicationsThu, 30 Apr 2009, 17:38:59 EDT
- Surgery without external scars is gaining tractionThu, 10 Mar 2011, 18:24:31 EST
- New surgery improves outcomes for severe flat foot deformityThu, 8 Jul 2010, 7:43:24 EDT
- Minimally invasive thyroid surgery effective in children Wed, 13 Apr 2011, 11:05:47 EDT