At popular swimming holes such as Hot Creek near Mammoth, the water can unexpectedly heat up, scalding or killing people. Perhaps a greater health risk in hot springs is the danger of extreme temperature changes, from tepid to scalding in minutes.
- Thermostatic mixer valves could significantly reduce the risk of scalding in children, study findsWed, 5 Jan 2011, 11:40:14 EST
- Cold case: Siberian hot springs reveal ancient ecologyTue, 26 Apr 2011, 16:34:19 EDT
- New study sheds light on corals' susceptibility to temperature changeTue, 4 May 2010, 19:46:39 EDT
- Researchers predict extreme summertime temperatures to become a regular occurrenceFri, 9 Sep 2011, 20:33:17 EDT
- Projection shows water woes likely based on warmer temperaturesWed, 17 Feb 2010, 10:09:51 EST