The first thing an alien race is likely to hear from Earth is chirps and whistles, a bit like R2-D2, the robot from Star Wars. In reality, they are the sounds that accompany the aurora. Now ESA’s Cluster mission is showing scientists how to understand this emission and, in the future, search for alien worlds by listening for their sounds.
- Cluster listens to the sounds of EarthFri, 27 Jun 2008, 10:22:18 EDT
- Auditory illusion: How our brains can fill in the gaps to create continuous soundWed, 25 Nov 2009, 13:14:13 EST
- Sound medicineFri, 27 Jun 2008, 9:56:46 EDT
- Sound safety Fri, 13 May 2011, 12:32:10 EDT
- Bats pick up rustling sounds against highway background noiseSat, 20 Sep 2008, 10:57:38 EDT