Colored patches represent parallelogram outlines around pairs of triangles that have formed chiral super-structures. Parallelograms having different "handedness " and orientations are color-coded and superimposed over each other. The overwhelming majority of proteins and other functional molecules in our bodies display a striking molecular characteristic: They can exist in two distinct forms that are mirror images of each other, like your right hand and left hand. Surprisingly, each of our bodies prefers only one of these molecular forms.
- Argonne scientists discover possible mechanism for creating 'handedness' in biological moleculesMon, 1 Dec 2008, 14:42:34 EST
- 'Ancestral Eve' crystal may explain origin of life's left-handednessWed, 21 Apr 2010, 13:21:20 EDT
- NASA and university researchers find a clue to how life turned leftWed, 25 Jul 2012, 13:37:15 EDT
- UCLA life scientists unlock mystery of how 'handedness' arisesTue, 8 May 2012, 17:22:18 EDT
- Metamolecules that switch handedness at light-speedTue, 10 Jul 2012, 14:06:07 EDT