Tapeworm eggs discovered in 270 million year old fossil shark feces
A cluster of tapeworm eggs discovered in 270-million-year-old fossilized shark feces suggests that intestinal parasites in vertebrates are much older than previously known, according to research published January 30 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by Paula Dentzien-Dias and colleagues from the Federal University of Rio Grande, Brazil. Remains of such parasites in vertebrates from this era are rare- of 500 samples examined, only one revealed the tapeworm eggs. This particular discovery helps establish a timeline for the evolution of present-day parasitic tapeworms that occur in foods like pork, fish and beef.
The fossilized eggs were found in a cluster very similar to those laid by modern tapeworms. Some of them are un-hatched and one contains what appears to be a developing larva. According to the study, "This discovery shows that the fossil record of vertebrate intestinal parasites is much older than was previously known and occurred at least 270-300 million years ago."
The fossil described in this study is from Middle-Late Permian times, a period followed by the largest mass extinction known, when nearly 90% of marine species and 70% of terrestrial species died out.
Source: Public Library of Science
- Where we split from sharks: Common ancestor comes into focusWed, 13 Jun 2012, 18:43:15 EDT
- Shark tooth weapons reveal missing shark species in Central Pacific islandsWed, 3 Apr 2013, 22:05:47 EDT
- New cave-dwelling arachnids discovered in BrazilThu, 23 May 2013, 9:06:14 EDT
- NIAID media availability: Seizures following parasitic infection associated with brain swellingTue, 4 Nov 2008, 12:24:15 EST
- Scientists discover at the European Synchrotron the first fossil brainTue, 3 Mar 2009, 10:47:58 EST
- Tapeworm eggs discovered in 270 million year old fossil shark fecesfrom Science DailyWed, 30 Jan 2013, 22:00:38 EST
- Tapeworm eggs found in shark poop fossilsfrom MSNBC: ScienceWed, 30 Jan 2013, 19:00:44 EST
- Ancient Tapeworm Eggs Found in Fossilized Shark Poopfrom Live ScienceWed, 30 Jan 2013, 18:30:40 EST
- Image Gallery: Parasite Eggs Lurk in Fossilized Shark Poopfrom Live ScienceWed, 30 Jan 2013, 18:00:52 EST
- Tapeworm eggs discovered in 270 million year old fossil shark fecesfrom PhysorgWed, 30 Jan 2013, 17:30:50 EST
- ScienceShot: A 270-Million-Year-Old Tapeworm Infectionfrom Science NOWWed, 30 Jan 2013, 17:30:24 EST