Making sperm from stem cells in a dish
Researchers have found a way to turn mouse embryonic stem cells into sperm. This finding, reported in the journal Cell in a special online release on August 4th, opens up new avenues for infertility research and treatment. A Kyoto University team has coaxed mouse embryonic stem cells into sperm precursors, called primordial germ cells (PGCs), and shown that these cells can give rise to healthy sperm. The researchers say that such in vitro reconstitution of germ cell development represents one of the most fundamental challenges in biology. When transplanted into mice that were unable to produce sperm normally, the stem cell derived PGCs produced normal-looking sperm, which were then used to successfully fertilize eggs. These fertilized eggs, when transplanted into a recipient mother, produced healthy offspring that grew into fertile male and female adult mice. The same procedure could produce fertile offspring from induced pluripotent stem cells that are often derived from adult skin cells.
"Continued investigations aimed at in vitro reconstitution of germ cell development, including the induction of female PGCLCs and their descendants, will be crucial for a more comprehensive understanding of germ cell biology in general, as well as for the advancement of reproductive technology and medicine," the researchers wrote.
Source: Cell Press
- Stanford scientists turn stem cells into precursors for sperm, eggsWed, 28 Oct 2009, 14:25:18 EDT
- Johns Hopkins researchers make stem cells from developing spermThu, 6 Aug 2009, 13:01:53 EDT
- NIH-funded researchers transform embryonic stem cells into human germ cellsWed, 28 Oct 2009, 14:25:07 EDT
- Human induced plurtipotent stem cells reprogrammed into germ cell precursorsTue, 27 Jan 2009, 9:16:32 EST
- Scientists create human embryonic stem cells with enhanced pluripotencyMon, 3 May 2010, 16:02:08 EDT
- Japan team produces sperm from mice stem cellsfrom AP HealthSun, 7 Aug 2011, 1:00:47 EDT
- Japan team produces sperm from mice stem cellsfrom AP ScienceSun, 7 Aug 2011, 1:00:41 EDT
- Experts grow mouse sperm to help with human infertilityfrom Reuters:ScienceFri, 5 Aug 2011, 3:02:14 EDT
- Making sperm from stem cells in a dishfrom Science DailyThu, 4 Aug 2011, 14:30:30 EDT
- Making sperm from stem cells in a dishfrom PhysorgThu, 4 Aug 2011, 13:00:48 EDT
- Sperm Made (Mostly) in a Dish Produce Normal Micefrom Science NOWThu, 4 Aug 2011, 12:40:07 EDT
Latest Science NewsletterGet the latest and most popular science news articles of the week in your Inbox! It's free!
Check out our next project, Biology.Net
From other science news sites
Popular science news articles
- A sudden interest in math -- how teachers can motivate their pupils
- Probiotic therapy alleviates autism-like behaviors in mice
- NIST calibration tools to encourage use of novel medical imaging technique
- To improve foster care, add a psychiatric nurse to treatment team
- Stanford scientists probe abandoned mine for clues about permanent CO2 sequestration